Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

on
Tuesday 20 June 2017

This was me at the very top of Ben Lawers after bagging me 10th and 11th Munros in the worst winds I've ever encountered when out walking.

My alarm went off at 5.45am last Saturday which for me seemed like the middle of the night. I made my way to Dunfermline to meet Nicole aka Ginger Kitchen and we drove up to Loch Tay.

When we started walking I was glad I had brought some sun screen because it looked like it was going to be a lovely day, but that feeling soon passed as the cloud set in and all we caught was tiny glimpses of the sun trying to fight its way through the clouds with very little success.

It didn't take us too long to reach the top of  Beinn Ghlas (my 10th Munro) although we almost missed it since the summit pretty much hidden on route to Ben Lawers. The next part of the climb was pretty tough in parts. The wind got stronger and we were lucky if we could see a few feet in front of us. However, we carried on and finally about 3 hours after first set off we reached the top of a VERY windy Ben Lawers. I can't even put into words how windy it was when we stood up at the top. There was a moment where I wasn't sure how we'd get down because the wind was so strong in those few seconds when we stood up to take some photos.

It took us about an hour to get down and soon enough we were back in the car listening to Taylor Swift and eating vegan chocolate.

That's 11 Munros down and only 271 to go!
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment